Monday, February 19, 2018

Favorite Valentine’s Day Flicks by Kristin Wallace

Yes, Valentine’s Day is already over, but my blogging day on RTG happened to fall after the 14th. Still, I had a fun Valentine’s Day-themed idea so I’m running with it. My topic this month is…favorite romantic movies. Come to think of it, these movies can be watched all year long, so they still count.

Pride & Prejudice (any and all versions)

There are many version of this movie. The one you’re most likely to see on TV is the 2005 movie starring Keira Knightly as Elizabeth Bennett and Matthew Macfayden as Mr. Darcy. Some probably still prefer the classic BBC version starring our favorite ever Mr. Darcy, Colin Firth. I do like this newer movie adaptation, though. The chemistry between the two leads is pretty smoldering considering nothing really happens and we never get to see Matthew Macfayden rising out of a pond with a wet shirt clinging to his chest. I really believe his Darcy desires Lizzie, even down to him flexing his hand in reaction after he helps her into a carriage. Plus, it has hands-down the best hero entry in any movie ever, at the end where he strides across the field at dawn to claim his Lizzie.

Here it is in case you've forgotten how perfect this is...


10 Things I Hate About You

A teen movie that works on all fronts, mostly because of great performance of a young Heath Ledger. Julia Stiles is pretty good and I didn’t always like her as an actress. Of course, the story is a take on Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew set in a modern high school. It’s Health Ledger’s job to make Julia Stiles fall in love so her younger sister can go out on a date. Here’s the best quote and the reason this movie made the list. “I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots, and the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick; it even makes me rhyme. I hate it, I hate the way you’re always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh, even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you’re not around, and the fact that you didn’t call. But mostly I hate the way I don’t hate you. Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.” —Kat (Stiles)  THAT’S GOOD WRITING!

When Harry Met Sally

Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan come together for one of the best on-screen pairings ever. Harry and Sally meet when they share a ride to New York after college. She believes men and women can’t be friends because of the sex thing. She disagrees. They part, but eventually meet again. They try to be friends…but…well you have to watch to again to see what happens. This is where the classis “I’ll have what she’s having” line came from. It also features the best breakdown ever, when Sally falls apart after breaking up with her boyfriend and realizing “I’m gonna be forty…” in EIGHT YEARS.



Pretty Woman

Is it realistic in the least? No… Is it fun anyway? Yes. Julia Roberts became a star because of this movie and with good reason. Every moment in this movie is pretty perfect, from the aaaammmazng red dress, the revenge shopping on Rodeo Drive, to the end when the princess “rescues him right back.”

Say Anything

An 80s classic. Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) is in love with the perfect Diane Court (Ione Sky - whatever happened to her?). This made the list because Lloyd brings us the classic ‘holding a boom box over his head while blasting Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” scene. 


Dirty Dancing

If last year’s disastrous attempt at a Dirty Dancing update starring the girl who was once “Little Miss Sunshine” taught us anything it’s that you never mess with the original. Was the original Dirty Dancing the most perfect movie ever? Was the acting amazing? Maybe not, but it had Patrick Swayze and his hips. It also had monster chemistry between him and co-star Jennifer Grey, even though it’s been said they hated each other during the shooting of the movie. It also had the lift in the water…Patrick Swayze dancing…baby carrying a watermelon…Patrick Swayze dancing…that song...and she does the lift...and Patrick Swayze dancing!


 Sleepless In Seattle

If ever there was an onscreen romantic comedy couple that should’ve been a couple in real life (at least in our hearts) it’s Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. This movie is a Christmas favorite, but also just a favorite any time. A lonely widower Sam tells a radio talk show how much he misses his deceased wife and every woman in America vows to help him get over his grief. Including Annie from Baltimore. I love, love, love this movie for all time. (Please ignore the translation to whatever language that is at the bottom. This was the only clip of this that I could find.)



Bridget Jones’s Diary

Renee Zellweger as Bridget Jones, who’s in love with her bad boy boss (Hugh Grant), but really belongs with Mr. Darcy (Colin Firth). It’s based on a really funny book, which in turn is based on Pride & Prejudice…hence Mr. Darcy…place by THE Mr. Darcy from the classic BBC version mentioned earlier. It’s funny and sweet and just plain perfect.


Four Weddings and a Funeral

This movie made Hugh Grant a star. It is funny, funny, funny A group of friends attend 4 weddings…and a funeral. In the process Hugh Grant falls in love with American Andie MacDowell. Each wedding is more ridiculous than the last. If you don’t laugh at Mr. Bean officiating a wedding and making a hash of it while uttering phrases like, “In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Goat” you just might be dead.



Now it's your turn. Do you have a favorite romantic movie? Share your pick here!

Kristin Wallace is the USA Today Best Selling Author of inspirational and contemporary romance, and women’s fiction filled with “Love, Laughter and a Leap of Faith”. She is the author of two best selling series, Shellwater Key Tales (sweet contemporary romance) and Covington Falls Chronicles (inspirational romance). Watch for her new series, launching this April, The Heiress Games. Book 1 (Least Likely Heiress) is available for pre-order now on Amazon, iTunes, Barnes & Noble and Kobo.

Sign up for Kristin’s newsletter and get a FREE book!



6 comments:

Sarah Raplee said...

I love all the movies you mentioned, Kristin! One of my favorites is a romantic comedy from 1984, American Dreamer. The one thing they leave out in the summary below is that she falls in love with the author, who uses his mother as a cover to hide the fact he is a romance writer - and she is married. How can they find a Happily-Ever-After?

Here's a summary from imdb:
Frustrated housewife/writer Cathy Palmer ghostwrites a story about Rebecca Ryan, a dashing international spy, and wins a trip to Paris. While there, she is involved in an accident, and awakens in the hospital believing she IS Rebecca Ryan. Much craziness ensues as she meets the writer of the Rebecca Ryan books, thwarts real international spies, and eventually gets her memory back.—Suzanne Houghton

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

P.S. I Love You
The Notebook
The Fault in our Stars
The Vow
The Proposal

I could continue, but those are the top ones I think of.

Madelle Morgan said...

Kristin, your blog post is right up my alley! Love, love, love it!

I suggest any romantic movie with Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling or Chris Pine just because I ADORE Chris Pine. 50 First Dates. There's Something About Mary. Must Love Dogs. I could go on and on....

Some commentors have mentioned movies I have not seen. Gasp! Must rectify that.

Madelle

Sarah Raplee said...

I love 50 first dates, too, Madelle!

Judith Ashley said...

Sigh, at least I've seen a couple of the movies Kristin. That was in a long ago life time because I seldom even watch them on t.v. However of the ones you mentioned, I actually have a copy of Pretty Woman and Mystic Pizza. I'd add An American President with Michael Douglas and Annette Benning (have a copy of that) and Romancing The Stone (also have a copy of that) and you left out 7 Brides for 7 Brothers...as you can see nothing filmed in this century unless in the very first years.