Wednesday, April 19, 2017

BAZINGA!!!


Hi Everyone! Genre-ista Maeve Greyson here. April’s writing prompt is: Favorite Other-abled Character (Book, Movie, TV, Stage).

I read that and said, “Hmm…” I tend to say that a lot. Must be my way of getting my brain started. Kind of like a pull-start lawn mower. “Hmm…” is my way of yanking the cord until my mind decides to roar (or putt-putt-putt) into gear.

At first I thought I’d write a post about Granny Sinclair or one of the Sinclair sisters in my Highland time-travel romance series: Highland Hearts. After all, Granny and all four Sinclair girls are time-runners, able to skate back and forth across the centuries quick as you please. Granny’s determined that all four of her granddaughters are going to marry thirteenth-century Highlanders. The only problem is the girls don’t know it. Yet.


But then another idea nudged that thought out of the way. Another favorite character came to mind: Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory.


As a writer, I’ve discovered that not only reading other authors and studying their styles helps improve my writing. I’ve also started studying/binge-watching successful television shows and movies to learn more about pacing, timing, and since my past writing has spent a great deal of time in medieval Scotland, I need to learn more about the “contemporary” scheme of things. My upcoming series, Highland Protectors, takes place in modern day North Carolina. I have to write twenty-first century.

Anyway, I’ve been binge-watching The Big Bang Theory and I totally adore and kind of relate to Sheldon Cooper.  He’s a nerd. A loner. Socially awkward. And as the seasons progress, through entertaining situations with his equally quirky friends, Sheldon has become more—human?

The pacing and the rhythm of the dialogue in the show is extraordinary. In an interview, Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon Cooper, said the best way he can describe the writing for the show is that the dialogue flows and plays out like a musical.

But getting back to Sheldon’s “other-abled-ness”. Sheldon has an eidetic memory. I SO envy that trait. I do good to remember my name most days. Here’s a clip from one of the shows so you can see what I mean:


Wouldn’t it be great to have an eidetic memory? Of course, I guess it could be a double-edged sword to remember everything. Bad memories would be vivid too.

What do you think? Would you like to have an eidetic memory?


Maeve’s Bio:

No one has the power to shatter your dreams unless you give it to them. That’s Maeve Greyson’s mantra. She and her hubby of nearly thirty-eight years were stationed all over the place with the U.S. Air Force before returning to their five-acre wood in rural Kentucky where she writes about her beloved Highlanders and the sassy women who tame them.

Find out more about Maeve at these places on the web:

1 comment:

Judith Ashley said...

Oh my, what a question Maeve! Sometimes I think my brain is going to explode with everything that's in there now!!!